Are 'For Sale By Owner' Homes Cheaper? | For Sale By Owner Homes / Mortgage Blog

For Sale By Owner Homes

Custom Search
Real Estate & Mortgage Resources / Sponsors

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Are 'For Sale By Owner' Homes Cheaper?

Are 'For Sale By Owner' Homes Cheaper?



Real estate editor Maryann Haggerty and columnist Elizabeth Razzi expand on a question submitted in a recent online chat.

Q: When I was home shopping back in the hot market days, my agent took me to for-sale-by-owners who cooperated -- that is, gave the 3 percent fee to the buyer's agent. She had many examples where FSBOs greatly underpriced their homes, which led to a great savings on the buyer's part, but only a small difference in the commission.


A: Maryann Haggerty: Ah, the questions about how real estate agents and sellers who don't use agents interact. Do agents shun FSBOs? Do FSBOs overprice their houses? Or do they underprice them, as your agent seemed to believe? And what does all of this mean for would-be home buyers?

Elizabeth Razzi: I wonder if the appraised values of those homes reflected such below-market prices. And were you able to scoop up an underpriced deal at the height of the hot market? Sure seems like it would be a pity if you passed it up.

In the go-go market of several years ago, bidding wars tended to break out even on properties priced at what was thought to be the market value. It's reasonable to expect an underpriced FSBO would draw multiple bids as well. Even with the market as slow as it is now, I've had real estate agents tell me that it's "impossible" to underprice a home, because if it is underpriced it will draw multiple offers. I'm not sure I buy that argument, but it sure makes the theory that FSBOs routinely underprice homes more interesting.

1 comment:

joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

Real Estate & Mortgage Resources / Sponsors

Real Estate & Mortgage Resources / Sponsors